5 Steps To Selecting A Divorce Attorney
Deciding to divorce your spouse is stressful, emotional, and complex. One way to alleviate some of the stress is to select the right divorce attorney. Many factors go into that decision. What follows is a checklist of things to consider when choosing your attorney.
- Think about the final outcome. What do you hope to achieve through the divorce? Then, do your research. Seek out local attorneys who have successfully handled issues that matter most to you.
- Divorce Process. There are many different ways to settle a divorce including, mediation, arbitration and collaborative divorce. Few divorces actually end in a trial. Pick an attorney that has experience with the processes that are relevant to your matter.
- Ideal Attorney. Make sure that you are comfortable and trust the attorney that takes on your case. He or she should have the knowledge and experience needed to guide you through the divorce, whatever process you choose. The ideal attorney will explain your options, the relevant law and help you understand the process. To make the divorce a bit easier and less time consuming, you’ll want to pick an attorney that is local.
- After narrowing down your list of attorneys, be sure to interview them. Ask about their experience with cases similar to yours, their rate, whether an associate will be handling your case, and what the legal approach would be.
- Red Flags. Be weary of attorneys who name-drop previous clients or intimate details of prior cases. Pay attention to how often the attorney checks their phone and emails; you’ll want an attorney that is focused on your case.
Since 1995, Arons & Solomon, P.A. has assisted their clients in resolving divorce. They serve all of New Jersey with offices in Bergen and Morris counties. Set up a consultation to learn about their experience with the many divorce processes.